The Rialto was one of the original stone buildings in Greensburg (completed in 1796 and called Barne’s Inn). It served as a popular rest stop for travelers when journeying on Forbes Road from Philadelphia to Pittsburgh. Greensburg became known as a town of taverns and inns to accommodate the steady traffic of post riders and pack horses passing through. Ownership of the building was transferred to the Stark Family, who were renowned stage coach (and later carriage) manufacturers whose business prospered through the Civil War until 1879. In 1888, Mr. Stark completed the rebuilding of one of the finest brick business blocks in the town, which would be purchased by the Montuori Family in 1933 and named The Rialto. The site of what is now the outdoor patio was once the dining room where Nono Bernardino prepared his original Italian dishes.
Ownership was passed on to Mr. and Mrs. Dom Montuori (son) and became known as “Dom’s,” a favorite spot for Seton Hill and St. Vincent College students.
In 1984, Dom’s daughters, Angela and Donna, would take over as third generation owners, opening the remodeled dining room in 1988. Current owners, Mr. and Mrs. John Rullo (Angela’s son) became fourth generation proprietors in 1997, expanding the business to include Baldy’s Pizza (a nod to Dom, whom many called “Baldy”). They carry on the long established tradition of The Rialto as a landmark and gathering place in downtown Greensburg.